October 28, 2020We’re Hiring! EJHA Program Associate
We have been made aware of increased recruiting scams. Note that we are not making cold contact recruiting candidates for this position, we are only reviewing applications sent to us directly via email. Do not give your information to anyone claiming to recruit on our behalf. All emails regarding this position will come from an @comingcleaninc.org domain, we do not use any other email domains. If you have any questions regarding the legitimacy of an offer, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your applications by Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
Environmental Justice Health Alliance (EJHA) Program Associate
Full Position Description
The non-profit organization, Coming Clean is seeking to hire a Program Associate to join the Environmental Justice Health Alliance for Chemical Policy Reform, a national grassroots network of environmental justice organizations that operates in strategic partnership with Coming Clean.
The Environmental Justice Health Alliance for Chemical Policy Reform (EJHA) is a national network of grassroots Environmental and Economic Justice organizations and advocates in communities that are disproportionately impacted by toxic chemicals from legacy contamination, ongoing exposure to polluting facilities and health-harming chemicals in household products. EJHA supports a just transition towards safer chemicals and a pollution-free economy that leaves no community or worker behind. The EJHA network model features leadership of, by, and for Environmental Justice groups with support from additional allied groups and individual experts. EJHA and Coming Clean provide financial, strategic, and technical support to grassroots Environmental Justice organizations so they can better execute their campaigns, launch new economic development initiatives, and hold government and corporations accountable.
The EJHA Program Associate is a key part of the EJHA team. The EJHA Program Associate’s primary responsibility is to ensure greater efficiency and effective operations for the Environmental Justice Health Alliance and its work. The Program Associate will improve the functioning, efficiency, and effectiveness of EJHA by assisting with tracking work plans and commitments, follow-through and troubleshooting, and communication with and among EJHA National Co-Coordinators, staff, affiliates and allies.
Effective and efficient follow-through on EJHA coordination tasks and activities.
- Maintaining an EJHA workplan and calendar (including the Campaign leadership’s calendar items and schedule, Coming Clean general calendar items related to EJHA meetings and activities, and external items), including long-term goals, annual objectives, major activities and commitments, milestones and deliverables.
- Maintaining a current list of specific next-step actions and commitments made by EJHA Co-Coordinators.
- Working with EJHA Co-Coordinators and staff to monitor and flag upcoming commitments, deadlines, opportunities, or items that need attention to the Co-Coordinators, leaders, participants, and/or Coming Clean staff as needed.
Quality internal communications for campaign management.
- Announcing EJHA conference calls (bi-weekly planning calls, monthly EJHA Network calls, and additional calls as necessary) for Co-Coordinators, to EJHA affiliates, Coming Clean staff, and other Coming Clean Leaders and campaign partner groups as necessary, and working with the Co-Coordinators to ensure that agendas and materials are prepared and distributed in advance, and all participants are prepared for productive calls.
- Documenting strategy and planning calls and meetings, through action-oriented notes (that include decisions made, follow up needs, and specific action steps and commitments, including the person responsible for each and the deadline or timeline); clarifying notes with call participants when necessary, and disseminating notes promptly to all participants.
- Assisting in helping to centralize and organize EJHA documentation and other important documents.
- Assisting, proactively, the Co-Coordinators with outreach to community groups, partners, etc. to clarify and track action items; be proactive with reminders to Co-Coordinators and participants to ensure efficient task flow, and task completion.
Accessible and available materials and information.
- Assisting with collecting and filing EJHA materials (photos, quotes and statements, meeting notes, action items and deliverables) for use by EJHA Co-Coordinators, staff, and affiliates and Coming Clean staff in outreach and fundraising (e.g. grant applications and reporting).
- Assisting with circulating EJHA fundraising requests (e.g. a crowdsource campaign), as necessary and as time allows.
- Keeping the ej4all.org website up-to-date, posting news items and other content.
- Updating the EJHA Facebook page and other social media channels.
- Responding to requests for EJHA information or documents.
Quality logistics management for EJHA meetings and events.
- Collecting, tracking and forwarding to Coming Clean finance staff, reimbursement and expense reports for EJHA Co-Coordinators.
- Collecting, tracking and forwarding to Coming Clean finance staff, reimbursements from EJHA meeting participants with approval from the an EJHA Co-Coordinator before submission.
- Assist the Coming Clean Manager of Administration and Special Projects with logistical arrangements, as necessary, for in-person EJHA meetings and events, including:
- Setting meeting dates based on input from EJHA leadership, EJHA affiliates and partner groups, Coming Clean staff and others as necessary.
- Assisting in setting and tracking the meeting budget, in consultation with EJHA leadership and Coming Clean staff as necessary.
- Selecting the meeting venue, arranging participant transportation, communicating logistical information to meeting participants, and ensuring that participants are prepared for the meeting (agenda, meeting materials, per diem and honoraria requests).
- Other support and assistance tasks or duties appropriate to this position, as directed by EJHA leadership or Coming Clean Executive Staff.
General Responsibilities and Expectations.
- Communicating clearly via phone, Zoom, skype, email and in person with EJHA Co-Coordinators, staff, affiliates, as well as Coming Clean members, staff, and consultants; pro-actively and constructively raising up challenges and pursuing solutions; and being accountable for achieving task deadlines (or modifying those deadlines with adequate notice if necessary).
- Exhibiting professional, courteous behavior; polite persistence; problem-solving skills for routine tasks as well as in urgent situations; and promotion of EJHA campaign goals and alignment with Coming Clean’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Ably representing the Environmental Justice Health Alliance at strategic gatherings and in presentations.
- Participating in Coming Clean leadership calls, and specific Coming Clean project planning calls and meetings (e.g. leadership meetings, General Meetings) as needed and as appropriate to this position.
- Understanding and adhering to Coming Clean Principles, the Principles of Environmental Justice and the Jemez Principles.
- Some travel (1-2 trips per quarter) is expected.
- Highly organized and able to stay on top of multiple tasks, calendars systems and deadlines;
- Excellent writing and note-taking capabilities;
- Strong listening skills, including the ability to stay focused and take clear and comprehensive notes on conference and video calls;
- Above average computer proficiency, including ability to use and manage online documents and calendars, and common word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software, as well a working familiarity with phone- and video-conferencing systems;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including phone, email, in-person, and public presentation;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Experience in working respectfully and collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds;
- Knowledge of relevant issues, such as Environmental Justice, environmental health, safer chemicals, climate change, clean energy;
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in other education and/or experience.
It is strongly preferred that this remote position be located along the US east coast.
Salary Range & Benefits:
The EJHA Program Associate is a full-time position. The salary range for this position is $35,000 - $40,000 annually. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits include a retirement program, health insurance reimbursement arrangement, life insurance, disability insurance and vacation and unplanned leave.
Application Process & Timeline:
Please submit your applications by Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
Please submit the following by email to email@example.com:
- Cover letter, telling us who you are and why you are interested in and qualified for this position
- Three references related to employment or volunteer experiences
Coming Clean is a cutting-edge environmental health and justice collaborative with 20 years of experience bringing diverse groups together around common causes to better protect public health. Members of Coming Clean are organizations and technical experts committed to principled collaboration with one another to advance a nontoxic, sustainable, and just world for all. Together, we're demanding immediate action and systemic changes to ensure the safety of communities, farms, food, consumer goods, facilities, and the chemicals we are exposed to everyday. Our work is grounded in grassroots organizing and leadership, and the need to enact solutions that benefit the most impacted and disproportionately impacted communities.
EJHA and Coming Clean work in strategic partnership, closely coordinating priorities and activities. This unique and deep partnership has benefited both EJHA and its affiliates, and Coming Clean and its members, by allowing both networks to retain their independent identities and leadership while achieving more together than they could alone. Coming Clean also serves as EJHA’s fiscal agent.
Coming Clean is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to dismantling racism, sexism and other oppressions within our organization and in society as a whole. As such, Coming Clean does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or religion. People of color, young and younger people, women and people of all abilities are particularly encouraged to apply.